Friday, June 13, 2014

A short post for the Abidjan naysayers.

Someone came into my office yesterday and was critical about Abidjan's infrastructure.  He mentioned things that were very true, including the roads' inability to handle all of the traffic, and complained about the flooding that invariably happens during the rainy season here...  I have not always been the biggest fan of Abidjan, and I'm pretty sure my posts reflect that.  Despite that, I somehow found myself getting really defensive about the place and its people.  Oh far the mighty have fallen. I, ever the naysayer, am finally beginning to grow attached to this place...


Either way, I think that Abidjan is judged too harshly. Traffic is horrendous and the road infrastructure has been poorly maintained, but I feel like the roads here aren't that bad. And the government has embarked an admirable series of large scale infrastructure projects to bring the roads up to snuff. Before being too critical, I think we should ask ourselves whether the roads in Guinea or Cameroun are any better...
Finally, the people more than make up for it.  I have met many friendly Ivorians and love the energy that so many of them seem to have...
Have a great weekend, and enjoy watching the World Cup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment